The residents recognized the importance of religion and education and took early measures to establish institutions reflecting their values. Mrs. Elihu Linkletter (Nee Burnett) taught the first term of school, which was held in a primitive log house, about 12×16 feet inside. These were temporary quarters while the township built a schoolhouse in its first school district—School District No. 1—formed in 1862 and called the Black School.
The Township, with more than 30 bodies of water, was formally established in 1864. The first township meeting was held at A. P. Wheelock’s home at which Harrison Abbe was elected as supervisor, Andrew Rosa as clerk, and A. P. Wheelock as treasurer. One point of business at that first meeting was to dedicate the first schoolhouse.
A Native American brought mail on the back of an Indian pony in summer and on snowshoes in winter once every week. The Post Office was in a building on Hiram Boman’s place just east of the large Malnory house, on Ransom Creek, where Mr. George Griffith lived. Later the Post Office was moved to the Linkletter place, now known as the William Morse farm. The first grocery store was owned by Matt Burnett.